If you, like me, are a fan of salt and pepper calamari that can be found on many restaurant and Pure Catering menus, you just might find yourself in love with this version of Salt and Pepper Calamari that is usually found on the Canape Menu at Pure Catering Brisbane.
Serves 2 salt and pepper calamari as an entrée
You will need:
- Canola (or vegetable) oil for frying
- 150g calamari, thawed if frozen
- 1 egg
- 30g cornflour
- 45g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Murray River sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground back pepper
salt and pepper calamari
- Heat oil in a large pan or pot over medium high heat for the Salt and Pepper Calamari.
- Place egg in one bowl, whisk slightly. In another bowl mix together cornflour, flour, salt and pepper.
- Dip calamari into the flour, shake excess then dip into the egg, then place it back in cornflour mixture and toss to coat. Shake any excess off.
- Once oil reaches 190°C, begin frying calamari. You may need to do this in batches, be careful not to over crowd the pan or the calamari will stick together. Fry calamari for 2 minutes, do not over cook or it will become tough. Using a slotted spoon transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with a little more Murray River sea salt, if desired. Serve.
Serve some Sweet Thai Chili Sauce on the side for dipping.
Like this recipe? Recommend it to your friends and share the love below!